Friday 22 October 2010

Day 5 - St Pancras Station - 22 October 2010

St Pancras station caught me by surprise when I first saw it.  Being used to stations such as Euston, which are boring and plain, I wasn't really prepared for a station to look like that.  I suppose I hadn't realised the importance that Victorians placed on the railways.  In the 1960s it was scheduled to be demolished.  I can only say I'm glad they didn't.  Here's just one corner of it - I'll take more of the rest of it on other days, but it really is stunning.

2 comments:

  1. We forget just how revolutionary the railways were (and Britain was first to have them). No one had EVER travelled faster on land than a horse, and certainly not in great numbers. It was a complete social revolution.

    Love the photo Mel. Look forward to seeing the others when they come (and the remodelled interior of St. Pancras is good too).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I was going to go inside and get some photos of that - it's such a cool place.

    ReplyDelete